Friday, July 29, 2011

I am excited about the Employment First Initiative in our state. I just got invited to sit on a workgroup with our state's Office for Citizens with Developmental Disabilities. Our state recently went to a system of waiver services that is based on levels of care.

At this point there is a tie between the level and the budget amount for services. One of my complaints was that the manual for these changes talked about day programs. I even at one point told one of the administrative people in the state that I was offended that employment wasn't at least mentioned in that box first.

I realize not everyone will work a 40 hour week in 5 days. I am not sure my daughter will be able to work more than 3 hours a day twice a week. We tried 4 hours a day for 5 days a week and she could not do it. The behaviors she has with Autism got unbearable.

But she deserves to have work to build her life around just like everyone else. It might look different for her but she deserves a chance. Like I said I am excited about the Employment First Initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment