Monday, November 12, 2012

Early Morning

I was up before 5:00AM this morning.  I had checked my phone an figured out my oldest daughter had called me.  I called her cell phone and didn't get an answer.  That was not a problem since she was supposed to be asleep and not on her phone.  Part of the Autism is an obsession with the phone so it's supposed to be off at night.  That's why it was strange that she had called me. 

Then I called the house phone.  No answer.  That was a problem.  DD#1 has staff 24/7.  Even if the staff was napping, they should have answered the phone.  You have to remain at least partially alert with a person with Augism.  I called on and off for about an hour.  Then I got dressed and went over there.  DD was in her bed asleep. 

The staff person and I talked a couple minutes before we realized that the house phone was gone.  We were both surprised but since things seemed to be ok I figured I would deal with it later when the provider agency opened.  And I did. 

What surprised me is when I talked to my youngest (18 years) and oldest (32 years) boys about it they didn't see why I went to her house.  I wanted to know exactly what DD was doing and why no one was answering either phone.  I still don't seem to have gotten it across to them that even with extensive supports for someone like DD you have to watch her.

I really enjoy the provider agency.  We work well together.  I tend to be very blunt and businesslike about what DD needs though.  I know they have their hearts in the right place but it's my job to make sure DD gets what she needs.  It's not personnal. 

I get on well with the DSP supervisor and the Director of the office.  There are just alot of DSPs in and out of DD's apartment.  When you figure 3 shifts times 7 days, you are figuring on at least 4 to 6 people.  I like to know what is going on.  Even in the middle of the night.  That's part of the reason DD has a cell phone. 

The younges son and I also had to have a discussion about what a DSP was.  (Direct Support Personnel)  He wanted to know when it had changed from PCA and why.  Of course he is the youngest even at 18 years.  I had to explain that the terminology changes every once in a while.  The different offices even move in a state agency and between state agencies. 

I was just surprised.  DD is 24 years old and they still don't understand the complications of Autism.  Well and supports too for that matter.  Since they will be an increasing part of her circle of support I need to get better at involving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment